Wednesday 13 March 2013

Craft Fail.

I am getting my head into Edinburgh mode.
The thought of running for something like five and a half hours is just too hideous, I really want to get it done in 4 and half or so.
I have a number belt as I will want to carry gels, I hate safety pins, and I don't want to carry a drink or waist pack as it will annoy me. At Garioch I will as they just give water in silly little paper cups, but at Edinburgh there will be proper bottles I can run along with and discard when I want.
My number belt is green (for GO, obviously) and will be handy for triathlons.




Earlier this week I wasted half a day trying to make a pin-board to store my medals on in the shape of mountains, with plastic trees and a little bike lady going down one of the peaks.
It was a terrible failure, so instead I have just stuck some pins in the frame of a mini-whiteboard, and put my next races and goals for the year on it. It's in my bedroom. I see it the minute I wake up.
Anyway that I can combine training with stationery is always going to make me happy.





I am feeling quite a lot of marathon fear. The next ten weeks will be all about preparation.
Training, eating and making sure when the big day arrives at no point do I think kick myself for not trying hard enough. I will know I am as prepared as I possibly could be.

So today I woke up to a fresh snow dump. The road was quite clear, though, so I decided to bike.
 The weather got worse, and more snow fell while I was out, the spray from passing vehicles was blinding, I was gritted twice (OWWW!) and came home soaked and frozen, and only did 15.5 miles in 1 hour 8 mins. There were certain stretches of road that were just white, packed snow. Just moving my hand position on the bars made me wobble, it was like cycling on air.
I didn't swim, but did an hour of yoga and weights instead, as I have to go to town tomorrow anyway, so to save petrol will swim then.

2 comments:

  1. You should complain about the gritters. They are meant to switch off as they pass cyclists.


    Also stop moaning about your bike speed! 15mph is a decent speed especially on anything other than clean, dry roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was less than 15mph, don't forget the 8 mins ;) But yeah, I was just gently coasting on the snowiest bits as I got all scared, so I didn't mind too much.

      The first gritter I forgave as we met on a blind bend and I don't think he had time to react, the second one saw me coming, the git!

      Delete