Saturday 16 March 2013

Aiming High

Went for a medium intensity 5k today when I got home from work. It's the pace I hope to do tomorrow at the 10k (9:40ish! Ha!). Guinness Boy initially was going to come, then he had a darts tournament, and now today he says it's been cancelled to he will be there after all.

I'm a bit horrified as I find it hard to run as fast as I did a month ago. I did 13.1 miles at 10:57 with 700ft of elevation a month ago. Last time I did 14 miles it was 11:18.  

I'm kind of glad the bloke is coming, as last year everyone seemed to know each other apart from me, it was like a Jog Scotland outing. Me and a boy I recognised a 5th year from the school were the only ones not chatting away in a group. Although I had taken my child, so she was duty bound to keep me company.

I really want to get under the hour, although it is off road and will be very muddy, and some parts of it are bark path, which is horrible and slips underfoot. The fastest 10k I have done this year is 1:02, on road. Plus (trotting out all the excuses now) Mother Nature has struck early this month. My run earlier was painful to say the least. However, this is good in a way as it means it'll be out of the way by next week's half marathon.

On this exact race last year I got 1:08, and had to walk a bit. It was my first race back after injury.
As long as I get much better than that, I'll be happy.

But I'm still aiming for the sub-1 hour. As I'm ALL ABOUT aiming high.

No comments:

Post a Comment