Friday 10 May 2013

Seems I'm A Masochist



The cheapo turbo thing arrived. It's connections are a bit plastic-y, so may not last long. To start off with I could smell burning rubber, and feared for my tyre, but it felt cool. However, the little resistance unit was pretty hot, so I think the smell was coming from there.

The whole thing is very interesting.

* I go faster, probably because it's easier, but then the constant non-stop action and higher cadence is a killer in a different way. After an hour and ten mins of speedy pedalling to fast music I was very wobbly. The constant action also makes it miserable saddle-wise.

* My feet still went numb. And I sure as hell wasn't cold. I've now read it could be a nerve in my feet being compressed, and so I need to move the cleats slightly more forward on my shoes.

* Hot doesn't cover it. People have said before how a fan is needed, but I've decided not to.
It was kind of hellish. I don't do heat. It was like being in a sauna. I'm sure it contributed to my higher heart rate. And I kind of liked the suffering. It was awesome, tough, hideous suffering. And I loved being able to listen to music.

I have eaten very well today.
Spinach smoothie, strawberry, banana and protein smoothie, porridge made with almond milk, and tonight will be wheat-free pasta and veg and a huge chunk of watermelon. I am eating ALL the fruit and veg!

5 comments:

  1. Ok that looks immense! Where did you get your turbo from?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebay! It arrived very quickly, too. It may not be the quietest one, but I think part of that is my bike, and also, I had headphones on so don't care :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quiet-Indoor-Bicycle-Cycle-Magnetic-Foldable-Turbo-Trainer-Training-Fitness-New-/300707562631?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D7575065720057473130%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D300707562631%26

      Delete
  2. If you adjust it much tighter against your back wheel, and/or let some air out, that will make it a bit harder and more representative. Rather than just spinning your legs against minimal resistance. But it will still always be like riding a smooth, flat road at worst.

    You will also want a turbo thong (google, it is not as kinky as it seems) at some point if you are going to use it a lot but I suspect you will have the skills to make your own rather than purchase.

    None of them are quiet, just crank up the tunes. I am told high bpm dance music and CBeebies is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that was a disappointing google, I did something similar with a towel, and will up the resistance now I know it's the turbo and not the tyre that's getting hot.

      I listened to MeTAl!! Pounding drums and screaming along. :)

      Delete
  3. If you can see the tele I will send you some turbo dvds to cycle along to - there's no sound so use your music, mostly its either a cycle route from the riders view or its the back of some cyclists - just ordering more dvds

    ReplyDelete