Tuesday 14 May 2013

Not Prepared!

This is another one of those posts that starts with 'I'm an idiot.'

So, I'm an idiot.
As it was only 14 miles, I didn't do any of my usual long run prep, totally forgetting that a couple of months ago that was my long run, and a very big deal. I didn't have a proper breakfast after a bad night's sleep, have been working a lot and not taking iron as much, and the other things that I try and keep up with diet wise. I also didn't take any gels or anything with me, and was in a hurry as I had to get to work.
I ran off-road as I didn't feel lucid enough to be constantly looking out for traffic.

It started well. the first 10 miles were great. I think 10 miles is my ideal distance as a human being.
After that, it all went a bit wrong. It had been very hot. Then windy and rainy. And I had run out of drink. I walked for a little bit, and felt more human. I kept getting stones in my shoes, and even with the walking I still averaged faster than I have been known to run the distance.

On the upside, I had a super fast shower, gulped down a smoothie, and spent 4 hours standing up at work, and my legs don't feel that bad. Once upon a time I remember being unable to get out the bath after 10 miles without moaning and howling liek a 90 year old trapped on a boucy castle.

I didn't get to swim as I had to get to work, but I should be off tomorrow for sure, so will run a few miles in the morning and then head to the pool. Yeah. Sensible sporting.

No comments:

Post a Comment